James R. Schermerhorn
A founding member of the firm, and its premier trial lawyer, Jim is an aggressive advocate who passionately seeks justice for his clients.
When Jim represents injured plaintiffs, he takes pride in making a difference in the life of someone whose life was tragically altered by someone else’s negligence. When defending people and insurance companies, Jim finds satisfaction in seeing justice done.
Jim is a native of Schenectady who initially wanted to enter the clergy because of his desire serve God and to help others. He worked briefly as a junior high school teacher before becoming a lawyer.
Jim’s clients find him to be honest, forthright, and a very good communicator who is a compassionate and tireless advocate. He is at his best in the courtroom, and is honored to use his skill as a litigator to help others.
- Premier trial lawyer on all firm litigation matters
- High value/ high exposure civil litigation
- Wagner College, B.A. Religious Studies and Education, 1979
- Seton Hall University Law School, J.D., 1985
- New York State
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- St. Thomas Church in Manalapan, New Jersey - Church Council member and Deacon.
- Christ Lutheran Church in Staten Island, New York- Council and Parish President, 15 of the past 18 years.
- CYO Basketball Coach